Monday, March 23, 2009

Canada Games Pool Triathlon Training

So I got my swim in today. I head to the Canada Games Pool in Burnaby after work. It's a huge pool. It was built the same year I was born 1972 and in 1973 it was used for the Canadian Summer Games. So it has lots of room, it still get's crowded, but if you go in the morning the pool leangths are at 50m and during busy times it is cut in half to 25m.

One of the issues I have run into when training is remembering what lap I am on. With running and biking I have my Garmin. I can plan a work out, I can plan out my distances, my reps, what heart rate zone I need to be in, how long, what cadence to have, etc. The Edge and the Forerunner are my personal coach.

As soon as I hit the pool however, it is a different story. I don't know what lap I am on, I don't know how long I have done a drill. I have to remember to press the lap button each time. Did I press it last time? Should I add a lap? or take one off? I can't remember. What drill was I on?

So I have looked for a Garmin like watch for swimming, but there really isn't one. So my Training Bible Super coach Cheryl Hart has come up with a new plan. Do go by time instead of laps, or drills. So I am now setting my watch for various times.

Today was 4 reps of 15 minutes. With a minute rest at the end of each 15 minutes. Basically taking 10 & 1's from running, and putting it into swimming. This may not be for everyone, but I am just looking to finish my first Ironman. It seems to be working. I mean, I swim ok and occasionally I get some free tips from other swimmers.

So far this seems to be working. I skipped the gym because I got to the pool late. So I did some situps and pushups at home. Then I stretched, made lunch, got ready for tomorrow. It's 10:53pm, time for bed, I am running to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment