Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Massage for Triathletes

How do you know you are really into training? You get excited when people get you sports massage sessions as a gift. My mother in law got me a whole bunch of sessions with Dr. Wylie Guo, R.AC. check out her credentials

Therapeutic massage (Tui Na)
Deep tissue massage (body & foot)
Acupuncturist.

She is about 5'2 and maybe 90lbs, but she can make a grown man cry. She is so strong, she just digs in so deep.

When I was on the Cruise ship in Hawaii I had a massage. The lady, sorry the "masseuse" was so soft. I had to check to make sure she actually touching me.

Wylie is not for the light hearted. However she is able to get to those deep areas that no one else can fine. While I am a little bruised, I can still feel the depth that she got to.

My right knee has bugged since I started running distances above about 20kl. I can run for an hour, hour and half, then it starts to hurt. Just a little at first. Only while I run. By the time I stretch and cool down, it has gone away.

The next run it starts to hurt a little sooner, lasts a little longer, and hurts a little deeper. Doesn't go away as fast.

The next run it hurts when I start, I start to loath steps, or sidewalk, or running down hills. As long as I am straight and flat I can run forever.

It took me a long time to get over the injury. I don't know if it was IT Band issue or what, but when I keep the distances shorter, I am OK.

What is weird is when I trained for the Vancouver Triathlon in 08 my knee didn't bug me. This time however, my knee started to bug me while biking. Then it trickled over to the run, then it hurt to just walk around. So I had a few days of rest and intense deep tissue beat down.

Truly if you ever want a truly deep massage, or serous acupuncture email me (or respond to this blog) and I will pass along Wylie's #. Truly a miracle worker.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    I'd like to ask you about your acupuncturist.

    Thanks,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey C. Wylie has recently moved but I am currently searching for her information. I have not bin much since the end of the Ironman. I have a new sports massage profesional I go to. You made me think of Wylie and I need to get stabbed with needles again. So I will found out and update as soon as I find out.

    ReplyDelete