Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Garmin Edge 705

I have been a Garmin fan ever since my injury. I worked at the Running Room and one day I had to take out a clinic for a run. Earlier in the day a customer had returned a Garmin 305 stating it was not picking up the satellite.

So I put it on, and took it outside to see if this was true. To determine weather or not I had to send into Garmin as defective.

Within a couple of minutes I had the Forerunner 305 set up for running a tempo run. I set it to run for 10 minutes, rest for 1 minute, and repeat 6 times. It was so easy. I was sold

I purchased my first Forerunner 305.

This device saw me through my first Marathon in Chicago in 2006.IT was so necessary for me to set what time and distance. When to rest. And keep track of all my workouts. One of the issues that arouse after my accident was over-training. I would forget I ran the day before, or how far I ran. So I could track my workouts, and always stay on target.



When I trained for my first Triathlon, I bought the cadence sensor for the Forerunner.



I was now able to focus on my Cadence and improve my over all success in all aspects. I have the bike mount accessory for the Forerunner and the quick release wrist mount. So I could jump out the ocean, get on the bike and be set to ride. I had preset my Garmin to the right mode so my cadence and time and heart rate were all pre-set to help me reach my desired time.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi for my car. The one thing that the Forerunner 305 does not have is turn by turn directions. So while I can monitor my cadence, and pace and heart rate zones. I often have no idea where I am, where I am going, or how to get back home. Riding a bike with a map in my hand is not an option.

So after school, and deciding to train for the Ironman. I did my research and I got a Garmin Edge 705 with North American Maps on a SD mini card.



I can now plan my ride by address, or distance, or time. I can program a map, I have downloaded the bike route for Penticton. So when race day comes I have turn by turn directions. I can now focus on my bike efforts, and not my directions. I can also enter in addresses and the time it will take me to get there. Truly a must have device for anyone, let alone someone with Short Term Memory Loss.

The Edge 705 is simple to use, but it is also as complex as you want it to be. Garmin has put a new Website together called Garmin Connect. I will add the link to this website on this blog. I can now upload my workouts to my coach, without having to be at my PC. So if I travel to a race, or I just train outside of my hometown. I don't have to wait till I am home to upload my data. Check out Garmin Connect.

Next blog entry will be on Forerunner 405.

No comments:

Post a Comment