Monday, March 9, 2009

Foot Solutions & my Brooks Dyad 4

I have an odd shaped foot. Well, I don't know it is odd. I should say, it is just hard to find the right shoe for. As a previous employee of the Running Room, I have tried on every single pair of shoes they have to offer. I have worn each shoe for several hours.

As a long distance runner, and someone who has been running for several years, I can notice little things almost right away. Is the toe to close to the end? Is the heal slipping, even a minor amount? Other issues take longer to notice. Will this cause blisters? Is the way the stitching is set in this shoe going to bother me after a while?

Most things in the store are easy. Is it the right size? I often say to customers that shoes are like a pair of jeans. A size 8 in a pair of Levis, is not the same as a size 8 in a pair of Seven jeans.

Some shoe brands fit narrower than others. This may cause blistering, or in extreme situations cut off the circulation. Other times the shoe will fit wide, you will wind up with your feet feeling like they are swimming.

Some brands have really good cushioning, others have to much. I don't like to not feel the ground. I like impact cushioning. I don't like it when I can't feel anything. There is a fine line between good cushioning and too much. I want the full effect of impact, to roll, to launch.

I always tried to emphasise to my customers: "How the shoe fits in the store with pushy sales guys, is a lot different than how it feels on your long run." Every new show feels great. I mean, it's a new shoe! Given that it is the right size, and it shapes to your foot, it should feel great, it is brand new.

What was frustrating for me, at the Running Room, was they did not have shoes for me. I fit a wide shoe. The Running Room is great if you fit into the "average" medium sole bed. If you fit a little smaller (narrow), or little bigger (wide), it is much harder to find a shoe.

One day I happened into a friend's store. He manages a Foot Solutions store http://www.footsolutions.com/vancouver Within a couple of minutes I found out not only was I in the wrong size (too small) but the wrong width.

This started me to my first pair of Brooks Dyad's.http://www.brooksrunning.com/ I purchased two. I was able to finish my first marathon, and I have never looked back.

Now I always try on new shoes. Shoe manufactures are notorious for changing the size, shape, and layout of the shoes, specifically Nike, but others do it as well. I have yet to discover another shoe that fits the same way.

So not only have I finally found the right shoe, I have finally found the shoe store. http://www.footsolutions.com/vancouver

So thanks to Foot Solutions, and thanks to Brooks! But a special thanks to Christian for not only the right shoes, but the knowledge I needed to keep running without injury.

All I do is pray they don't make any changes to the shoes!!!

P.S. Thanks for the suggestions Nicole!! ;')

No comments:

Post a Comment