Sunday, March 8, 2009

Triathlon Training Bible Coaching

One of the difficulties any triathlete has is planning and scheduling. How do you fit in the sometimes overwhelming amount of time needed for each discipline? On top of working, family commitments, stretching, shopping, cooking, and in my case video game playing, there's never enough time.

Because of my brain injury, I find I also need help with scheduling. When you add everything together, the swim, the bike, the run, and additional workouts with speed days, distance days, brick workouts and all the rest, it is very time consuming. You plan your route, you schedule your day around the pool, you make sure your gear is all set up the night before and suddenly there is no time left in your day. I have spent allot of hours planning one activity, only to find out the next day I was planning the wrong one. I have even done the same workout two days in a row.

I can't remember what I did the day before, or where I was on the workout schedule. I can't afford an individual coach, one specific for me. So while reading "The Triathletes Training Bible" 2nd edition by Joe Friel. Litterly the "bible" for triathletes of all levels, I noticed they have online coaching.

I now get my training direct from one of their coaches. Specifically Carla Hastert
See her profile here http://www.trainingbible.com/findACoach_detail.aspx?id=1900 (I got the right person this time!!) So sorry super coach!!

What makes this website different from others (click on the website here) http://www.trainingbible.com/index.aspx
Is that I can upload my workouts from my Garmin Forerunner 405 & my Edge 705 directly to my coach.

So all the information a coach would get in person, is transmitted electrically. My workout is then reviewed. Goals are changed based on my results. Workouts added if they need to be, or taken away. It's all really cool. Just because of the ease of transferring my data, my coach can make intelligent choices on what workouts to offer.

As great as it is to have the technology. What is more important, for me specifically, is the ability to plan out my workouts. I can upload my hours at work. She then takes that information and then schedules my workouts. So I get a week's worth of workouts, and I am able to send her all my results.

This allows me to free up that part of my brain that focuses on the planning. You see there is a way for me to download my workout right to my Outlook. Why is that so important?

Well as I have a greatly reduced memory. I live off of my Smarthphone and my laptop. So my Outlook has everything from where I need to be, what I need to do when I am there, and also how to get to the next apt or home. I have my shopping lists, my bus schedules, my "To do" list, my calender, my scheduler, everything.

So I get these great little reminders of what exercises I have to do. I have time to prepare, and then head out.

I am also able to keep track of all my workouts. I have a tendency to over train. I have a fear of not doing enough, not planning hard enough, not running or biking fast enough, or not doing enough laps. This can be a very dangerous way to work out. Rest and recovery are an integral part of training.

Every question you have on training including nutrition, to race day, to....well you get the picture. It is truly money well spent. I mean our bikes cost a few grand, our shoes, watches and swim suits are expensive too! Paying for training has been the best investment I have made. I highly recommend the Triathlon Training Bible Coaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment