Saturday, August 29, 2009

I am in Penticton for Ironman Canada 2009

Mandy and I arrived two days ago. It has been a pretty steady input of information. A few last minute workouts. Finding the course, the way around town. Getting adjusted to the weather, the neighborhood.

Yesterday I did a 20 min swim in the lake. Made sure I have all my gear for the swim and that everything works. I went for a 45 min bike and got used to a bit of the route. I then had a 20 min run and just went straight down the road and back.

During the race pick up. When we get our chips, and our race numbers. Mandy and I toured the athlete's area and I got to catch the tail end of the Pro's media coverage. I saw Jasper there and Belinda Granger. There was also a few others that I recognize from the Triathlon Magazines.

Penticton is a awash in energy. There is such an increadible feeling of support, good will, athletic drive. It is in the air. Mandy said, as we driving through the town. "They all look like you"

What she meant was that everwhere people are on tri-bikes, run close, water bottle containers. Everyone is wearing sports gear. At the athletes meeting I was concered about the dinner. I had no reason to be. It was all pretty much what I eat during training. Lot's of fresh fruit, rice salads, whole grain pasta, no meat. Truly an amazing experience.

After the dinner, we had the athlete's meeting. They walked us through the rules of the course. I.e. drafting, information about the open course. I thought that was odd, but I guess I didnt know what to expect. It's a long bike course. How could they close off to traffic.

I then came home and got my T1 & T2 bags together. Put in everything I would need. With my TBI this is hard and I have to give to Mandy for helping me remember, organize and plan.

This morning we woke up and took it easy. I skipped my workout as I had to get my bike and bags to the athletes tent pretty early. I don't think missing one last brick workout will make or break the race at this point.

Odd little notes.
- Jasper Blake was the only pro athlete that stayed to meet the fans. I got to say hello and thank him for his help. None of the other Pro's hung around.
- The town is awash with energy. Everywhere you go people are saying hi to each other. I think that we all know what they have been through, and what it took to get here.
- The volunteers are amazing. Words don't do it justice. The overwhelming amount of support is amazing. This day will be all about me, I have everything. It will be up to me.

I can't thank Training Peaks, and Training Bible Coaching enough. I would not be here without them. My coach has been amazing. This has been a long journey. In a way I am looking forward to it being over. I have added so much to my life, and so many changes that I will continue. I am healthier, I am happier.

WIsh me luck

Next is the Goofy Challenge. I have already registered

No comments:

Post a Comment