Sunday, May 17, 2009

Respro Techno Mask & Triathlon Training.

So my runs and bike distances are getting up there. I am spending a massive amount of time out on the road. I live in a pretty industrial area so I get allot of Big Rig diesel exhaust. I not only get it when I am biking and a meter away from a automobiles exhaust, I also get the smoke of people who are along the sea wall, or the bus stops when I am running.

So the other day I noticed a bike courier with a mask on his face. I started to do some research and I came across this mask.




I went to this website http://www.respro.com/ and did a little more research and found I could pick up the mask at Mountain Equipment Co-op. http://search.mec.ca/?N=10&Ntt=respro&bmUID=1242613725415

The mask was $46.00. I got an extra set of filters for $26.00 and two extra Valves for $14.00. So for $86.00 I get to look like this.






I used the mask for a quick bike to the store the other day, and then today I used it on my hour and 40 minute run through town. While I did get some smells through it. The intensity of the smells was very small. I got no exhaust, and I got no smoke. The only thing that came around was this group of guys (not kids by the way but older guys) sitting in parking lot in the Quay smoking a joint. I did get a sense of the smell, but it was either really bad pot, or my mask worked. I figure because I am in BC the quality was probably pretty good ;*)

I did notice a cop circle the block when he went by me. I guess a guy running down the street with a mask, running hat and glasses looks a little wierd. I got a few other wierd looks buy the waterfront, but I did notice a person on a bike wearing one.

I choose the Techno Mask because it filters out hydrocarbons, sulphur dioxide, lead oxide, and smoke, as well as sub-micron particulates including pollen dust, rapeseed dust and other irritants. The other masks filter either the Hydrocarbons and smoke, or sub-micron particulates.

To me this means it either filters out allergins (I have no idea what a rapeseed dust is but it sounds bad) or it filters auto exaust and smoke (Hydrocarbons and sulphur dioxide) The mask I got covers both.

The mask feels a little weird and I have run into a problem when I put on my hat, or helmet, and my glasses. So there is a little adjustment to happen. The mask comes in two sizes, large and medium. I got the medium.

Like wearing glasses for the first time, I did notice some slight iratation on my nose where the filter touchsed my nose. Other than it worked really well.

I know this comes right at the time of the H1N1 (swine) flu. I am not really worried about that. It is actually the cigarette smoke of the people I run past at Stanley Park, or the Quay. Even when I run by an outdoor restaraunt where the smokers all congrigate.

On a side note, I knew that there was something I needed to do when I ran buy a guy on the boardwalk or exausted a massive of cigar smoke right in my face as I was running by him. This happened just as I was taking in a deep breath, and I not only got his excelled smoke, but I got a nice bit of the smoke right from the cigar itself.

Not one of my best moves ever, I grabbed the cigar and threw it in the river. I didnt say anything to him. I just kept running. I think I left him stunned. So that was the big push to get me to think of a saver way to keep my lungs healthy.

So all in all I recomend this product. It get's a little wet, and it's a little hard to get a drink while wearing it, and I found it hard to blow my nose. Nothing that I couldnt get used to.

The only question I have now is, How long do the filters last?

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just see your blog about respro usage in your exercise in Chicago area and wonder if you could help with my research. I am a student from Texas A&M and working on project of analysis of air pollution in cities. Chicago is top 20 polluted cities in US according to American Lung Association. We basically got some used mask/filter sample from helper for pollution particle extraction and identification. If you could help, we feel more than happy to pay for your mask/filter cost (kind of support your training plan) so you can use mask for your health protection and can also help with pollution particle data collection.

    If you are interested, please let me know. My email is dragon.eclat@gmail.com

    Also, the lifespan of respro filter is usually about 60 hour usage.

    Thanks a lot!

    Regards,

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this posting. I was looking at that mask online for our daughter who has extreme Multiple Chemical Senstivity and is especailly Allergic to natural gas and exhaust from vechicles. It is nice to know that you can get it at Mountian Eq.
    I like the part about throwing the cigar in the river. We would like to do a few things to the neighbors who light up outside our window or fix all their friends moterbikes, cars and whatever just outside our windows or the 3 neighbors that let their deisel trucks (we live in Aberta) run for 30 mins at a time just outside our window. And then there are the fire pits in the summer and on and on. We hope this mask will work for her.
    Thanks again and about the funny looks; oh well, that is way it may be for a lot of people and I think people look funnier with a cancer stick hanging out of their mouth.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice review of the mask, I was looking for some that use this particular mask for run, and your post help me alot, saludos from Mexico, nice job

    ReplyDelete