Thursday, July 9, 2009

Best workout of my life.

So today I had a great bike/run. The weather was perfect, the workout was epic. I had a 3 hour bike followed by a 1:30 run

When I was training for the Chicago Marathon in 2006 I had a moment on a long run day. I was late getting to the long slow run on the Sunday, because of my brain injury I don't make a memory of where I am. I get lost really easy; I have no sense of where I am, where I have been, or where I am going. I have no reference point.

I liked the running clinics because I was with a group. As long as I was not last, I would not get lost.

On this Sunday I was late. The group had already gone out without me. There was a map left for me by my trainer. I had a new Garmin 305 and figured Ok I could do this. This was the longest run we would do. It was a 32kl run, from downtown Vancouver to the Quay in New Westminster.

Not only did I finish the run, but during the run I had some realizations that I could do this. I would finish my first marathon. Despite my injuries, despite my own mental demons, despite some missed days training, I knew when I finished the run, that I would finish the marathon. I just felt it.

Today I had a very similar day on my Ironman training. It was only a 3 hour bike, but I had hill drills and cadence drills. So it was a very intense 3 hours. It was followed by a 1:45 run. I was on my run and I had that moment. I can do this.

Perhaps it was runners high, I don't know but everything seemed to click. I thought about all the people that helped make this happen. Mandy who is the best wife in the world. Who amidst her full time school, working, and tutoring three kids, finds the time to support me in all my wishes. Let me tell you I am the definition of "high needs"

My coach Carla Hastert who is amazing. She has helped me out so much. I would not know what to do, when to do it, or when to stop without her. She truly is an outstanding coach, so supportive, and understanding to my specific needs. The Training Bible coaching and Training Peaks who I upload my workouts too so Carla see them.

Garmin for making these incredible devices that allow me to know what I am doing and not over or under do it.

Skins compression clothing that helps me reduce my lactic acid build-up. To let me push myself that little bit more when going up a 45 minute hill climb. To recover enough overnight in their recovery pants so I can go at it again tomorrow.

To Brendan Brazier for coming up with the Vega line of protein, sports drink, energy bars. Better yet was the book "The Thrive Diet" that has helped me eat better, and make my own energy bars. I have made changes to my diet that not only aids me in my physical abilities but also my recovery and overall health.

To Brooks for making the best shoe in the world the Dyad. The Dyad's have seen me through the marathon, clinic instructing, a couple of 10kl runs and the Vancouver Tri, and now through my training for the Ironman.

To Sugoi for their cycling gear. The cycling pants are the only ones I can wear on my long rides. I have some serious chafing issues in everything but Sugoi. The Sugoi shirt is the bomb, not only fashion wise, but in its comfort and storage capacity for all my bars, keys, phone, and all the other crap I carry with me.

To Speed Theory for the help with my bike. I not only got the best bike, I got the best bike for me. I have had nothing but the best advice and help from people who really know the specific needs of Triathletes. They are more than a bike store, or running store, or even a swim store. They truly are a store for triathletes by triathletes.

To Foot Solutions and the Johannsen's. They are truly family. Not only are they supportive of me and my disabilty. They reached out to me and my wife to help us in so many ways. To Nicole, Nadja, Christian, and Hans. Thank you so much for not only a job, but all your help and support.

To Marcel who is my biking buddy. Also my co-worker and a friend. You crazy German you are truly awesome. Thanks for everything you do!!

To Sue Borden of Microsoft who's help along with HTC and there smart phone and windows mobile, and Vista. Help me get to where to where I am going. With the loss of my ability to make new memories I function with allot of electronics. I would not know where I was, or what I was supposed to do without them. This is not to be taken lightly. I really would not remember to enter my blog comments without the reminders of my Microsoft and HTC products.

To 7Systems for the most incredible supplements. I can't even call them supplements. As a triathlete I push myself hard, I also pay attention to what I eat. I like to know where my food comes from. 7Systems is an Olympians supplements, litterly. They are used by the best of the best, including Simon Whitfield. Truly a uniquely incredible product. From the ingredients to the people who put it all together. They are my start to every morning and help me with my stamina, endurance, and recovery.

I live off of an income that is less than $1000.00 a month. I have rent, cell phone bills, internet, and an intense amount of food. All of the people I have mentioned have taken a financial loss in helping me. They all stood up and decided to help me when they heard my story. I would not be able to do what I am doing without all them.

I wish I could repay them for their humanity, there understanding and their support. I wish I had the money to fulfill everyone’s dreams. The ways they have helped me fulfill mine. I don't have that kind of money, so I will finish the Ironman. I will do this for myself, but mostly I will do it to let them know their belief in me was not wasted.

Every day I Swim/Bike/Run I am swimming/biking/running with them. I would not be where I am without all of them. Not to mention all the people I forgot to mention. So thank you to all of you.

You are helping me reach my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment